parallel netcdf on BG, colons in filenames?

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 11 15:10:05 CST 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 11:14:12AM -0700, John Michalakes wrote:
> The only difference is colons characters in the file name.  Any
> ideas? (aside from the obvious, don't put colons in file names :-)

Hi John
You aren't the first one to run into this one.  This is not *exactly*
a pnetcdf issue, but rather a way that pnetcd interacts with the
underlying MPI-IO implementation.  In this particular case, you are
using a ROMIO-based implementation, which looks for the ':' character.

If you really need to use the : character in your file name, prefix
the name with 'ufs:', 'pvfs2:', or 'nfs:', depending on the file
sytem.

The README for parallel-netcdf has more information.

Hope that makese sense.  Let me know if you want even more
information.