Fortran and Fortran77

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 12 16:03:25 CST 2006

This problem has come up with MPICH as well.  Fortran 77-only
compilers are becoming rarer; on my Mac, I only have gfortran, and
gfortran does not accept integer*8 .  Trying to build pnetcdf on my
Mac gave this:

groppmac:~/projects/software/parallel-netcdf gropp$ ./configure
MPICC=/Users/gr
opp/tmp/mpi2-inst/bin/mpicc MPIF77=/Users/gropp/tmp/mpi2-inst/bin/mpif77
checking for top-level source-directory... /Users/gropp/projects/
software/parallel-netcdf
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
configure: checking for m4 preprocessor...
checking for m4... m4
checking m4 flags... -B10000
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed
checking for xlf... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for ghf77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for cf77... no
checking for g77... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for f90... no
configure: WARNING: "Could not find working Fortran-77 compiler"
configure: WARNING: "The Fortran-77 interface will not be built"
checking for Fortran .F compiler...
checking for Fortran preprocessor... gcc -E
checking how to make dependencies... false
configure: checking for nm utility...
checking for nm... nm
checking nm flags...
configure: checking for math library...
checking for tanh in -lc... yes
configure: checking for ar utility...
checking for ar... ar
checking ar flags... cru
configure: checking for nm utility...
checking for nm... (cached) nm
checking nm flags...
checking for ranlib... ranlib
configure: WARNING: Unrecognized Fortran name mapping
checking MPI-IO support in MPI implementation... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blksize... yes
checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_DUP... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_HVECTOR_INTEGER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_HINDEXED_INTEGER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_SUBARRAY... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_DARRAY... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_RESIZED... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_STRUCT_INTEGER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_INDEXED_BLOCK... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_F90_REAL... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_F90_INTEGER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMBINER_F90_COMPLEX... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_CHARACTER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_REAL... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER1... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER2... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER4... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER8... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_INTEGER16... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_REAL4... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_REAL8... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_REAL16... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMPLEX8... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMPLEX16... yes
checking if MPI includes MPI_COMPLEX32... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking for uchar... no
checking whether char is unsigned... no
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for short... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for float... yes
checking size of float... 4
checking for double... yes
checking size of double... 8
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking size of size_t... 4
checking sizeof MPI_Offset... 8
checking for Fortran "integer*8"... no
configure: error: F77 does not support "integer*8"
groppmac:~/projects/software/parallel-netcdf gropp$

One possibility would be to see if the Fortran compiler accepted

integer (kind=MPI_OFFSET_KIND)

instead of integer*8 .

Bill