PnetCDF benchmarking results

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 10 15:04:30 CDT 2004

PnetCDF User's Group,

I had an internship over the summer of 2004 through the Division of
Educational Programs at ANL. I worked with Mike Dvorak and the LCRC team
(http://www.lcrc.anl.gov <http://www.lcrc.anl.gov/>) in MCS. We
developed a comprehensive set of parallel programming tutorials. We
expanded upon a tutorial from Indiana University written to solve the
diffusion equation in parallel (tutorial available online:
http://www.iu.edu/~rac/hpc/mpi_tutorial/9-0.html
<http://www.iu.edu/%7Erac/hpc/mpi_tutorial/9-0.html>). Among other
things, Four I/O implementations were developed in C: ASCII, binary,
netCDF and PnetCDF. I ran some benchmarking to compare the four
implementations. I have attached a portion of my SULI (Science
Undergraduate Laboratory Internship) research paper as a PDF document.

A few quick notes:

<>-PnetCDF performed much better than the other I/O implementations we
developed. Our results show that PnetCDF executed up to 13 times faster
than serial NetCDF.
-Given a smaller data set, performance degraded significantly as the
number of processors increased. This can be seen by the longer execution
time on a 1500x1500 grid given more than 8 processors. As we increased
the grid size, the performance hit occurred using larger numbers of
processors. For instance, using PnetCDF on a 6000x6000 grid the
32-processor job completed in less time than the 64-processor job. <>-If
the graphs are too hard to read, I can print one graph per page in
landscape. Due to time constraints, we used open office.org's chart
wizard to display our results. Let me know if you want this.
-We were going to implement a parallel HDF5 I/O implementation but ran
out of time.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass the information along. Feel free to
contact me (pschmitt at students.depaul.edu
<mailto:pschmitt at students.depaul.edu>) if you have any questions or if
you would like a copy of my SULI paper. Many thanks to Rob Latham for
answering some questions we had about PnetCDF!

-Peter Schmitt