deleting pnetcdf files

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Wed May 5 02:44:21 CDT 2004

Hi *,

it occured to me that the pnetcdf API, like the original NetCDF API, doesn't
provide a function to delete a file. While this is no problem for NetCDF, as
it is based on a sequential file system which always has this as a native
functionality, things are different for pnetcdf which is based on MPI-IO. A
file which is created via MPI-IO is not necessarily visible in any native
file system.

Thus, to be safe, a file created via pnetcdf would have to be delete via
MPI_File_delete(). However, it is somewhat cumbersome to use two different
APIs to access a file. Therefore, I propose some sort of ncmpi_delete(char
*fname) function. An MPI_Info object might be passed as well, although I can
not think of any application for this when deleting a file!?

 Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de