parallel-netcdf 0.9.4 released

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 22 17:55:36 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:33:08PM +0200, Joachim Worringen wrote:
> Problems I found (on SX-6):
> - configure probing for the sizeof(MPI_Offset): linking is done with $CC
> instead of $MPICC. This does not work on SX (don't ask me why; I know it
> should as no MPI function is referenced). This works alright on IA32. Anyway,
> in configure.in, line 245, it should read:
> if $MPICC -c conftest.c && $MPICC -o conftest conftest.o ; then

Ok, that change makes sense.  Jianwei, is there a platform (maybe the
IBM? ) where we should use CC instead of MPICC to link?

> - In the same context, the declaration of 'a' in line 236 can be omitted (our
> compiler gives ugly warning for unused variables.

fixed this to use 'sizeof(a)'

> Other notes:
> - I used the settings as described in README.SX. It seems that the additional
> iteration (calling make again in src/libf after the initial make) is no
> longer necessary, at least not on the system I tested on which was upgraded
> to Super-UX 14.1 from 12.1 in the meantime. As the additional invocation
> causes no harm, we should better leave the README as is.

good to know.  I'll make a note that the extra step might not be
necessary, but doesn't hurt things.

> - Although crossconfiguring does not work (checking for working ftruncate is
> not possible), configuring on the target host and then do a cross-compile
> works fine when setting up necessary aliases on the configure host (cc ->
> sxcc etc.) or vice versa on the compile host (sxcc -> cc). Might be changed
> in README.SX.

I've updates README.SX

> Test results for SX:
> _ nf_test: the int1 and int2 tests fail with "value read not that expected"
> for get operations and "Range error: No error" for put operations. I'll have
> to look into this more closely (if it has to do with the fact that integer*1
> is not supported on SX)

Most likely.  We *shouldn't* be running int1 tests if there is no int1
support:

#if defined(NF_INT1_T)
        external        test_nfmpi_get_var_int1
#endif
#if defined(NF_INT1_T)
        call test('nfmpi_get_var1_int1', test_nfmpi_get_var1_int1)
#endif

so this might not be working like w

> - nc_test: passes with the expected two errors

great!

> - nc_test2: fails with a number of errors like this (also fails like this on
> IA32):
>         FAILURE at line 637 of util.c: ncmpi_put_vara_text_all: Edge+start
> exceeds dimension bound
> I assume this doesn't really matter as only nc_test and nf_test are included
> in the 'testing' target of test/Makefile?

nc_test2 still uses ptrdiff_t instead of MPI_Offset.  I'll add it to
the 'testing' target to make sure I don't make such a mistake again.

> Final note: is the introduction of a ncmpi_delete() function (wrapper for
> MPI_File_delete) still planned?

It should be in 0.9.4:

int
ncmpi_delete(char *filename, MPI_Info info)

I'm not sure if we'll ever need the 'info' parameter, but it's there
just in case.

Thanks for trying out the new release!

Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B