parallel-netcdf 0.9.4 released

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Wed Jul 21 08:33:08 CDT 2004

Robert Latham:

> As usual, please report any problems to the mailing list

Thanks for the work!

Problems I found (on SX-6):
- configure probing for the sizeof(MPI_Offset): linking is done with $CC
instead of $MPICC. This does not work on SX (don't ask me why; I know it
should as no MPI function is referenced). This works alright on IA32. Anyway,
in configure.in, line 245, it should read:
if $MPICC -c conftest.c && $MPICC -o conftest conftest.o ; then
- In the same context, the declaration of 'a' in line 236 can be omitted (our
compiler gives ugly warning for unused variables.

Other notes:
- I used the settings as described in README.SX. It seems that the additional
iteration (calling make again in src/libf after the initial make) is no
longer necessary, at least not on the system I tested on which was upgraded
to Super-UX 14.1 from 12.1 in the meantime. As the additional invocation
causes no harm, we should better leave the README as is.
- Although crossconfiguring does not work (checking for working ftruncate is
not possible), configuring on the target host and then do a cross-compile
works fine when setting up necessary aliases on the configure host (cc ->
sxcc etc.) or vice versa on the compile host (sxcc -> cc). Might be changed
in README.SX.

Test results for SX:
_ nf_test: the int1 and int2 tests fail with "value read not that expected"
for get operations and "Range error: No error" for put operations. I'll have
to look into this more closely (if it has to do with the fact that integer*1
is not supported on SX)
- nc_test: passes with the expected two errors
- nc_test2: fails with a number of errors like this (also fails like this on
IA32):
        FAILURE at line 637 of util.c: ncmpi_put_vara_text_all: Edge+start
exceeds dimension bound
I assume this doesn't really matter as only nc_test and nf_test are included
in the 'testing' target of test/Makefile?

Final note: is the introduction of a ncmpi_delete() function (wrapper for
MPI_File_delete) still planned?

 Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de