new

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 29 17:55:30 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I've gotten back on Frost, and I've made some progress on the build
approach.  The approach below will work with the release I'll send out in
a bit, except for the "make tests".  The "make tests" is still broken
because it has a pushd/popd in it :(.

There are a couple of changes to note:
- setting MPICC and MPIF77 variables is the best thing to do any time
  you want a specific MPI compiler
- if you do this, you don't need the --with-mpi on the configure line
- "make install" now works, using a script included to handle the case
  where the default install doesn't understand "-d"

The notes below are in README.frost3 in the upcoming distribution as well.

I'm going to ignore that for a little bit and see if I can get John's test
codes to build over there.

Rob

---

#
# Rob Ross, 07/29/2003
#
# Based off John Tannahill's <tannahill1 at llnl.gov> approach, and Tyce
# Mclarty's <mclarty3 at llnl.gov> improvements, here's the newest version
# of "how to build on Frost".

# gunzip parallel-netcdf-0.8.4.tar.gz
# tar xf parallel-netcdf-0.8.4.tar
# cd parallel-netcdf-0.8.4
#
# Edit configure change MPICC and MPIF77 defintions to mpcc_r & mpxlf_r.
#
setenv CC xlc
setenv FC xlf
setenv F90 xlf90
setenv CXX xlC
setenv FFLAGS "-d -qmaxmem=4096 -O2"
setenv MPICC /usr/lpp/ppe.poe/bin/mpcc_r
setenv MPIF77 /usr/lpp/ppe.poe/bin/mpxlf_r

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5/pnetcdf-0.8.5

# make
# make install
# make tests