netcdf file size limits (was RE: parallel netcdf ...)

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 29 09:16:44 CDT 2003

Jianwei,

Quite right.  I feel like we need to come up with some solution to this
problem, even if it means that we have an optional configure-time flag
that breaks with the original netCDF standard.  We would need to print
some nasty warning at build time indicating that this wouldn't be
compatible with existing netCDF applications or something :(.  But I would
guess that some users are really going to find the file limitation
unacceptable, and would rather lose support from original netCDF than have
to split up files.

We should interact with Russ on this and see if he has any ideas on how we
could most cleanly extend the netCDF header to support larger files, or if
they have plans to add this sort of support into the existing netCDF
library.  It would be nice to have a plan that included serial netCDF if
possible.

All this said, we should save this until we've got these Fortran binding
issues worked out and some test applications in place!

Rob