archives of this list and current status

Nancy Collins nancy at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 18 15:45:41 CDT 2003

hi,

my primary interest in parallel netcdf would be to see if
we could use it for the ESMF project - the earth system
modeling framework.    the home page for the project
is www.esmf.ucar.edu.

many of our target applications already use netcdf for their
i/o so if we could read/write a single file from within the
framework in parallel i'm sure everyone would be quite
interested.   i'm working on implementing a format-independent
i/o interface layer for the framework, so amongst many
other things i'm interested in minimizing the differences
between the various file formats that will be supported.
one of the things in the parallel netcdf interface which
interested me was that it matched the serial netcdf interfaces
so closely.

i've got a secondary interest related to the WRF software
also here at ncar.  they have a format-independent i/o
interface which already has a netcdf file driver which
runs serially.  i'd be interested to see if parallel netcdf
can fit into this interface and if it would be useful to them.

n.