initial timings

John Tannahill tannahill1 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 22 18:48:20 CDT 2003

Some initial timing results for parallel netCDF =>

File size:  216 MB
Processors:  16 (5x3+1; lonxlat+master)
Platform:   NERSC IBM-SP (seaborg)
2D domain decomposition (lon/lat)
600x600x150 (lonxlatxlev)
real*4 array for I/O
Fortran code

Method 1:  Use serial netCDF.
            Slaves all read their own data.
            For output:
              Slaves send their data to the Master (MPI)
                (all at once, no buffering; so file size restricted)
              Master collects and outputs the data
                (all at once)

Method 2:  Use ANL's parallel-netcdf, beta version 0.8.9.
            Slaves all read their own data, but use parallel-netcdf calls.
            For output:
              Slaves all output their own data
                (all at once)

Read results =>

   Method 2 appears to be about 33% faster than Method 1.

Write results =>

   Method 2 appears to be about 6-7 times faster than Method 1.

Note that these preliminary results are based on the parameters given
above.  Next week, I hope to look at different machines, different
file sizes (although I am memory limited on the Master as to how big
I can go), different numbers of processors, etc.

Anyway, things look promising.

Regards,
John

--