[Nek5000-users] Tripping mechanism

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 23 15:49:37 CST 2018

Hi Juan Diego,

Indeed, we describe in our paper the trip forcing. The tripping has a
temporal part (third-order Lagrange interpolants with specific time
scale) and a spatial part (the h^i(z)). We typically use white noise for
these h(z), low-pass filtered with a spectral cutoff filter at a
wavenumber 2pi/z_s. So what one gets in h(z) is just random sines and
cosines up to a spanwise scale z_s.

The implementation of course needs to make sure i) that you have the
same random numbers for the whole spanwise extent, and ii) that when
restarting a simulation you continue the previous tripping in a smooth
way as to not generate any peaks (discontinuities) at the restart.

Please let me know if you have further questions, and I am happy to help
more.

Best regards,
Philipp Schlatter