[mpich2-dev] improved scalability with O_NOATIME flag

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 14 12:01:29 CST 2010

Came across an interesting optimization that should be easy to add to
ROMIO, but I want to do so in a portable way.

the O_NOATIME flag does what it says on the tin: don't update atime
when you open this file.  Now O_RDONLY really does only read -- no
metadata update needed.

In a collective open we can set this flag on all processors save one,
and presumably avoid a metadata storm (think lustre and it's single
metadata server).

So, what's the "MPICH way" to make use of a gnu-libc flag?  On my
laptop it's protected by an "#ifdef __USE_GNU".  Is it ok
to write a configure-time check for O_NOATIME that defines __USE_GNU?
But then I have to set __USE_GNU inside adio/common/ad_open.c if
we HAVE_O_NOATIME .

==rob

----- Forwarded message from Mark Howison <mark.howison at gmail.com> -----