[mpich2-dev] A request about MPE related to shared libraries

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:04:26 CDT 2009

In this post I announced users of mpi4py about support for MPE:

http://groups.google.com/group/mpi4py/browse_thread/thread/a5e2f35f4cb4ad16

The nice thing is that I'm able to activate logging of MPI calls at
runtime by pre-dlopen()'ing the Python extension module with MPE
symbols (needed the -Wl,-whole-archive to force the linker add the
whole stuff in liblmpe.a)

However, I'm pretty sure that people will run intro trouble because
the MPE code what not built with -fPIC... In fact, I'm having such
trouble with the centrally installed MPICH2 in our cluster (easy to
fix, I just need to rebuild with ./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC), and the
same happens with the RPM package from Fedora 11 (and there is nothing
I can do about this and all others distros out there)

So... What do you think about using -fPIC to build MPE sources when
the user asked configure to build shared libraries?

--
Lisandro Dalcín