[mpich2-dev] Problem with MPI_Type_commit() and assert in segment_ops.c

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 9 15:50:48 CDT 2009

Hi,

Those type casts to (size_t) should be to (MPI_Aint).

That assertion is checking that a parameter being passed to
Segment_mpi_flatten is > 0. The parameter is the length of the list of
regions being passed in by reference to be filled in (the destination
of the list of regions). So for some reason we're getting a zero (or
possibly negative) value passed in as the length of the arrays.

There's only one place in the struct creation where
Segment_mpi_flatten() is called; it's line 666 (evil!) of
dataloop_create_struct.c. This is in
DLOOP_Dataloop_create_flattened_struct(), which is a function used to
make a struct into an indexed type.

The "pairtypes", such as MPI_SHORT_INT, are special cases in MPI in
that some of them have more than one "element type" (e.g. MPI_INT,
MPI_SHORT_INT) in them. My guess is that there's an assumption in the
DLOOP_Dataloop_create_flattened_struct() code path that is having
trouble with the pairtype.

I'm surprised that we might have introduced something between 1.0.7
and 1.1; I can't recall anything in particular that has changed in
this code path. Someone should check the repo logs and see if
something snuck in?

Rob