[mpich2-dev] MPICH2 use of AC_C_CONST

David Gingold david.gingold at sicortex.com
Thu Oct 30 08:52:37 CDT 2008

Last night I chased down an ugly problem that showed up when I tried
to build MPICH2 with -Wall -Werror (telling gcc to turn on more
warnings, and to consider warnings to be errors).

The upshot is that -Wall -Werror makes autoconf believe that the
compiler doesn't support "const", and then things go downhill from
there.  The root cause is described here:

	http://www.nabble.com/fix-AC_C_CONST-to-work-with-CFLAGS--O2--Wall--
Werror-td17164627.html

...where there is some discussion about whether the problem ought to
be fixed in autoconf.

Does MPICH2 in fact build on pre-C89 compilers?  If not, perhaps it
would make sense to drop the use of AC_C_CONST in configure.in (as a
poster above suggests) and to enforce that the compiler be at least C89.

-dg

--
David Gingold
Principal Software Engineer