[mpich2-dev] status.MPI_ERROR with inactive persistent requests

David Gingold david.gingold at sicortex.com
Fri May 23 12:05:39 CDT 2008

MPICH2 folks --

My reading of the MPI spec is that an inactive persistent request
results in an empty status (e.g. with MPI_Test()), and that an empty
status has the error field set to MPI_SUCCESS.

I noticed that in test/mpi/pt2pt/inactivereq.c, the StatusEmpty()
function doesn't check s->MPI_ERROR.

What's more, I don't think the MPICH2 code sets the status in the
case of inactive persistent requests.  MPIR_Status_set_empty() in
mpiimpl.h doesn't.  MPIR_Request_complete() in mpir_request.c
doesn't.  MPI_Test() doesn't.

Am I mis-reading the spec?  Mis-reading the code?  Or is this a bug?

-dg