[mpich2-dev] issues around MPID_Dev_comm_create_hook(), etc.

David Gingold david.gingold at sicortex.com
Thu Aug 7 20:47:32 CDT 2008

I'm scrambling to get a release out, but lest I forget about this
later, I thought I should mention a few brief bits about
MPID_Dev_comm_create_hook() and friends:

1.  The callers of these don't check the return values.  It would be
nicer to allow the hooks to pass errors up, e.g. if the create hook
does memory allocation.

2.  MPIR_Setup_intercomm_localcomm() doesn't call
MPID_Dev_comm_create_hook().  Should it?  (This had me on a bit of a
goose chase this evening, but I'm better now.)

3.  I've ended up hanging device-specific things off the communicator
that might instead be hung off the communicator's group.  (The bits,
in my case, are representations of what ranks are local versus off-
node.)  Should we have MPID_Dev_group_{create,destroy}_hook()
functions, also?  I note that there is already a MPID_DEV_GROUP_DECL
facility.

-dg

--
David Gingold