[MPICH2-dev] implementing MPID_Wtick()

David Gingold david.gingold at sicortex.com
Wed Oct 10 13:09:44 CDT 2007

Here is a question about implementing MPID_Wtick() in MPICH2:

We're presently using gettimeofday() on our system to implement
MPI_Wtime().  As far as I know, there is no way to ask Linux what the
resolution of gettimeofday() is, but I happen to know the answer in
our case: 1 microsecond.  The "generic" implementation of MPID_Wtick
() tries to determine this, but now and then it returns different
values for different ranks.

To solve this, I'm inclined to add a parameter to configure.in that
lets me specify, at build time, the value that MPI_Wtick() should
return.  Is there a better way?  Is it expected, for example, that an
ADI3 implementation might provide its own versions of the functions
in src/mpid/timer/mpidtime.c, replacing or overriding what is there?

-dg

--
David Gingold
Principal Software Engineer