[MPICH2-dev] Problems starting up MPD as root user

nanday at csmail.cs.siu.edu nanday at csmail.cs.siu.edu
Mon Jan 29 11:33:20 CST 2007

Hi
We have a 9 node linux cluster and I had installed MPICH2 few months ago on it.
We have several users and each have their own MPD running right now, but now as
part of our application we are developing we need to use MPD under root
environment. So I created .mpd.conf file under /root directory and mpd.hosts
file there as well, but I get this error when I try mpd & command.

***********************************ERROR*************************************
bash-3.00# mpd &
[2] 20461
bash-3.00#  (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:athena.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode1.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode2.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode3.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode4.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode5.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode6.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode7.cs.siu.edu
:
 (get_parms_from_rcfile 1168): line in mpd conf is not key=val pair;
line=:oscarnode8.cs.siu.edu
:
An mpd is already running with console at /tmp/mpd2.console_root on
athena.cs.siu.edu.
Start mpd with the -n option for a second mpd on same host.
bash-3.00#

it says an mpd is already running under root, but when I try mpdtrace or any
other mpd command I get the exact same error as above. Does anyone have any
suggestions on this? Thanks!
-Nanda