[MPICH2-dev] logging/debug options?

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 19 15:10:11 CDT 2005

At 10:32 AM 10/19/2005, Ashley Pittman wrote:

>Is there any documentation that covers what the following macros do and
>more specifically how to enable them, from looking at configure I've
>tried --enable-timing=log and --enable-logging=rlog which seems to
>define MPIDI_FUNC_EXIT but none of the rest.  We've tried to use them
>correctly in our code but it would be nice to be able to enable them if
>possible and check they are correct.

This is something that is evolving in the code.  There's the original
design, what got implemented, and what we want implemented.  We're also
interested in suggestions (no comments yet, the current code isn't what we
want).

In the 1.0.2p1 release, you might find some documentation in
doc/logging/logging.pdf .  There is enough here to let you generate an rlog
file.  The description of the printrlog routine is, however, inadequate; if
you want to use this routine, you'll need to look at the source files for
this (sorry about that; this isn't what we intended).  You are probably
better off using jumpshot to read the rlog files.

In terms of event logging in the near future, see
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2/developer/design/debugmsg.htm
.  This is implemented in the current development version and is not in the
1.0.2p1 release.  It will be in the upcoming release.  When developing
MPICH2, we recommend configuing with --enable-g=dbg,log (the "log" turns on
the macros described in that web page).

To make use of the xxx_FUNC_ENTER and xxx_FUNC_EXIT macros, you can also
define your own logging package.  If you put it in some directory and then
configure with --with-logging=absolute-path-name (e.g.,
--with-logging=/home/my/mylogging), and if that directory contains the
following files:

setup_logging (shell script)
mpilogging.h (header file that defines actions on xxx_FUNC_ENTER etc.)
Makefile (used to build the logging and add it to libmpich.a)

then that will be used to define the actions at function entry and exit.

We hope to clean this up some more after Supercomputing.

This

>MPIDI_STATE_DECL
>MPIDI_FUNC_ENTER
>MPIDI_FUNC_EXIT
>MPIDI_DBG_PRINTF
>
>I've added entries to defined-states.txt where needed (purely because
>the configure complains) although the code has never failed because
>these are missing.
>
>A brief over-view of how they work and how to get information out of
>them at run-time would be fantastic.
>
>Ashley,

William Gropp
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~gropp