[MPICH2-dev] cross-compilation?

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 4 11:40:26 CDT 2005

At 10:14 AM 8/4/2005, David Gingold wrote:
>We're attempting to get MPICH2 to build in a cross-compile
>environment.  It looks like the distribution has some hooks to make
>cross-compiles work, but they are not fully functional.
>
>Can anyone offer any tips, such as things with the cross-compile that
>are known to need some work?  Has anyone gotten this working with 1.0.x?
>
>We'll be happy to feed back what we learn into the distribution.

The intent was to support cross compilation, but as you've discovered, it
isn't tested or complete.  The approach is that tests that need to run a
program will check for an environment variable CROSS_<name-of-info> and use
that variable to provide the result of the program rather than running the
program.  We don't have a good platform for testing this, and changes in
the way autoconf handles cross-compilation environments have undoubtedly
broken this.  As a start, could you send the output of configure with the
--enable-echo option, as well as the config.log files created by each of
the configure scripts?  Where does the current system fail for you?

Bill

>-dg
>
>--
>David Gingold