[mpich-discuss] Memory available to allocate data array

Qiguo Jing QJing at TrinityConsultants.com
Fri Sep 14 16:22:27 CDT 2012

Hi there,

I am using a parallel program written in Fortran, which uses a dynamic
storage allocation approach. The model allocates data storage as needed
based on numbers of several parameters up to the maximum amount memory
available on the computer being used.

However, the parallel program gives an error when allocating data arrays.
If I change the parameters to reduce the storages which data arrays need,
the the parallel program has no problem.

I have a Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 2.4GHz, with 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)
RAM. For large size data arrays, I tested 2 to 8 processors (-np 2 or -np
8), none of them works. The error is
'forrtl: severe (41): insufficient virtual memory'. The same size data
arrays, if I do a none-parallel run, it works.

I don't know what exactly MPICH2 did when trying to allocate data arrays
in each processor. Could you please provide me any insights about it, or
can you help me solve it?

Thansk.
rank: node: exit code[: error message]

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
Received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.