[mpich-discuss] Clustering

Svancara, Randall rsvancara at wsu.edu
Mon Oct 15 08:29:55 CDT 2012

I would say at a minimum, you need a dedicated gigabit Ethernet between the two machines, and an operating system that can support MPICH and Gromacs.  Also you will need a compiler to build all the software as well.  Lastly, your cluster will need to support SSH or some way to launch all the MPI daemons on both systems.

I would start by learning how to use MPI Software to run on one node and then work on expanding to a multinode setup.   Also, you might be better served by starting out with one of the many MPI Hello World implementations and starting there as a learning platform and working your way up to more complex programs like Gromacs.  Once you have a fundamental understanding of all the working pieces, you will have a much better user experience.

Thanks,

Randall