[mpich-discuss] mysterious network access

Geoffrey Ely gely at anl.gov
Sun May 27 15:55:49 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am on a dual-core Mac, where ch3:nemesis ought to use shared memory. However, I get one firewall dialog pop-up for every process in the MPI job asking:

"Do you want the application "test" to accept incoming network connections? Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of the Security preferences."

With no action, the code executes regardless and the dialogs disappear upon exit. Fast running tests like cpi do not last long enough for the dialogs to appear . I tried both hydra and gforker. Buggy OSX firewall is likely:

http://superuser.com/questions/100013/why-does-the-mac-os-x-firewall-dialog-recurringly-pop-up-and-disappear-by-itself

But, I do not see why share-memory code should be requesting a network connection. Has anyone else seen this problem? Are there MPICH diagnostics I can turn on to see what is going on under-the-hood?

Thanks for any help.

-Geoff

$ uname -a
Darwin airy.local 11.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.0: Mon Apr  9 19:32:15 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.26.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

$ mpich2version
MPICH2 Version:    	1.4.1p1
MPICH2 Release date:	Thu Sep  1 13:53:02 CDT 2011
MPICH2 Device:    	ch3:nemesis
MPICH2 configure: 	--prefix=/Users/gely/local --with-device=ch3:nemesis --with-pm=gforker
MPICH2 CC: 	gcc    -O2
MPICH2 CXX: 	c++   -O2
MPICH2 F77: 	gfortran   -O2
MPICH2 FC: 	gfortran   -O2