[mpich-discuss] Immediate process failure, Windows 7

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 12 10:11:38 CDT 2012

Hi,
 You might want to check out the Section 9.8 on Debugging MPI programs in the Windows developers guide (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/index.php?s=docs).
 Let us know if it works.

Regards,
Jayesh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Scott Barnhart" <ksbarnh at sandia.gov>
To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Sent: Monday, July 2, 2012 6:20:11 PM
Subject: [mpich-discuss] Immediate process failure, Windows 7

Looking for any clues on this one – my past is with MPI on Linux. I am compiling a C++ 32-bit console program in Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 and linking in the MPICH2 1.4.1p1 ia32 libraries.

I have compiled a test ‘pi’ application in both Debug and Release modes and am able to run these with multiple processes. Debugging works fine, I see each process at my break points. I also have no problems running on the command line. Everything seems to exit correctly.

I also have an old version of my application that was compiled (by someone else) on a WinXP computer using Visual Studio 2006. I am able to run that application in the console and see all the processes start and stop correctly.

Now, I can compile a new version of my code (with very few modifications) in both Debug and Release mode. When I launch via the command line, I get a pause (about the time to launch the processes) and then everything exits with no output. I put a cout (and flush) at the beginning of main() but don’t see any of that, either. If I run in debug, I set a breakpoint at the beginning of main() (at my cout) but no processes seem to reach it. I just get a “MPISHIM: target process exited with code -1073741515” for each process. I realize that this could be a VS2010 issue but I have no reasonable way of testing on a different version of the IDE and compiler.

I am at a loss without any additional debug information. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin