[mpich-discuss] Questions about running MCNP5 with MPICH

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 23 14:50:58 CST 2012

Comment inlined below

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up a parallel processing system to run MCNP5. The
> operating system is Ubuntu and I have four computers with quad
> processors.
> My contacts at LANL have advised me to use MPICH1 and use an
> executable
> mcnp5.mpi.
>
> I have two questions about this. First how can I get MPICH1 and the
> installation instructions ?- your web site seems to only have MPICH2
> available (I've downloaded this, installed it and run a simple test
> case
> successfully).

Try ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/mpi

mpich1 is unsupported.  You are on your own if you have trouble with mpich1.

> And second, how do I create mcnp5.mpi?

You need to contact MCNP5 developers for that.

> My other question is - can I run mcnp5 using MPICH2? and if so, do I
> need to compile mcnp5 to make it compatible with MPICH2?

Unless MCNP5 is written in a way that uses MPICH1 specific features,
you should be able to use MPICH2 or any other MPI implementations.
In other words, if MCNPX is written according to MPI standard, you
should be able to use MPICH2.

A.Chan