[mpich-discuss] unable to run MPMD with mpirun.

Donald Stark stark at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:00:54 CST 2012

I'm attempting to run a MPMD coupled model on my Linux box with PGI
V11-7 and mpich 1.2.7. In an attempt to diagnose what is going on, I've
created a toy problem that doesn't communicate between processors. If I
launch the job alone it works as expected. If I attempt to launch the
two executables as an mpmd job using the command:

mpirun -machinefile ./mach -np 1 ./mpmdA.exe : -machinefile
./mach -np 1 ./mpmdB.exe

only the first executable appears to launch. Thus I only get output from
the first executable.

 Rank of A is:            0  out of             1

If I switch the order of the arguments, such as

mpirun -machinefile ./mach -np 1 ./mpmdB.exe : -machinefile
./mach -np 1 ./mpmdA.exe

only the other executable seems to run.

Any thought on what might be the issue.
--