[mpich-discuss] best/fastest way to get a node communicator

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Jan 17 16:23:54 CST 2012

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, Rhys.

Using a perfect hash function was the first thing to jump into my
head.  Unfortunately, I do not know how to write perfect hash
functions for MPI_MAX_PROCESSOR_NAME-length character arrays and the
value of optimization for memory usage on clusters, which almost
always have fewer than 20000 cores and more than 20 GB of DRAM, isn't
worth me learning how to use gperf.  The memory use required for the
Gather is  an issue on a Blue Gene or a Cray, but like I said, I have
another solution there.

Whenever MPI_Get_processor_name returns an IP address, I don't need a
hash function because I can just convert the IP address into an
integer (32-bit for IPv4 and 128-bit for IPv6) and use that as the
key.  A straightforward optimization is to test if all nodes have
returned an IP address and if true, use that, otherwise fall back to
the gather+qsort implementation.

Jeff