[mpich-discuss] MPI_Bcast error

Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior lcjunior at ufrj.br
Wed Feb 29 17:39:01 CST 2012

Hi Pavan,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Unfortunately, one of our main challenges right now is to identify a piece
of code where program always fails.
We tried to isolate the code and create some test programs, but we couldn't
find one that reproduces it so far.

However, we tried a different approach by tracing every MPI call from our
code and we discovered a curious behavior I would like to share: we have a
MPI_BCAST call in which one of all the 32 processes didn't return from it.
The program then got frozen and we could check that all other processes
were stuck waiting it ahead in the code.

We did some batch runs and we could reproduce this same behavior some of
the times.

There are two questions I would like to ask:
1) I thought (I've read it somewhere I can't remember on the web) that all
collective MPI operations, including the MPI_BCAST function, would work as
a barrier (but we could not check this in the case above). Is this right?
2) Is there a way to trace MPI in some fashion that could help us on
debugging this problem? Perhaps a MPI "debug" argument. What would you
recommend? (We are running on Linux, on Amazon EC2)

Regards,
Luiz