[mpich-discuss] MPICH deadlock error

Sarika K sarikauniv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:05:59 CST 2012

Thanks! Gus. I appreciate your feedback.

I looked through the MPI communication and driver code (written way back in
2001) , it does includes calls to MPI_Bcast (Attached below is a sample
code). I am not sure why MPI_send /MPI_Recv is used in some places and
MPI_Bcast in others.  I have started to learn more details about MPI calls
only after encountering this deadlock error. Are there any particular
cases/instances where MPI_send /MPI_Recv call set up is preferred over
MPI_bcast or vice-versa?

Best regards,
Sarika

(MPI_Bcast sample code)
      Nbuf = ix+iy+iz+is+4
      if (Master) then
        k=0
    buf(k+1:k+ix)=dx(1:ix) ; k=k+ix
    buf(k+1:k+iy)=dy(1:iy) ; k=k+iy
    buf(k+1:k+iz)=sigmaz(1:iz) ; k=k+iz
    buf(k+1)=dht ; k=k+1
    buf(k+1)=baseh ; k=k+1
    buf(k+1:k+is)=rmw(1:is) ; k=k+is
    buf(k+1)=dt ; k=k+1
    buf(k+1)=ut ; k=k+1
    if (k.ne.Nbuf) then
      print*, 'Error in real_distrib. Nbuf=',Nbuf,
     &             '   needed=',k
          stop
    endif
      endif
      call MPI_BCAST(buf(1),Nbuf,MPI_REAL,0,MPI_COMM_WORLD,Ierr)
      if (Worker) then
        k=0
    dx(1:ix)=buf(1:ix) ; k=ix
    dy(1:iy)=buf(k+1:k+iy) ; k=k+iy