[mpich-discuss] knight's ferry and opa

Nick Radcliffe nradclif at cray.com
Fri Feb 10 15:56:31 CST 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know how to compile MPICH2-1.4.1p1 so that it's possible to run MPI programs natively on the Mic co-processor (Knight's Ferry)? I'm able to compile the mpich2 library and an MPI program using the library (both using -mmic so that they can run natively on the Mic), but the program crashes in MPI_Init when I run it. In particular, it crashes during OPA_write_barrier.

The particular instance of OPA_write_barrier being used is defined in opa_gcc_intel_32_64_p3barrier.h:

#define OPA_write_barrier() __asm__ __volatile__ ( "sfence" ::: "memory" )

This instance of the barrier is being used because I have to use the --host option to get the configure script to run (--host=x86_64-linux, otherwise the script tries to run a program compiled for the Mic on a Xeon, and the config fails).

If anyone knows how to deal with this problem I would appreciate their advice.