[mpich-discuss] mpich-1.4.1p1

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 21 14:45:14 CDT 2011

Hi,

Am 21.09.2011 um 21:10 schrieb Gus Correa:

> Anthony:
>
> How about non-ascii characters? e.g. Á (A with an accent)

about this I wondered too. Also in respect to a linked in RPATH or RUNPATH in the final application which one can check with `readelf -d program`. Does the ability to execute the application then depend on the setting of the locale?

> Are they OK in Linux directory and file names?
> Do they require some specific locale setting, UTF-8 character set,
> or other?
> Does autoconf digest them right?
>
> Carolina:
>
> I'd stay on the safe side and stick to very conventional
> file and directory names made only of:
> 1)  upper and lower case letters [a to z, and A to Z, without any accents, be careful with your Brazilian ABNT/ABNT-2 keyboard!],
> 2) digits [0 to 9],
> 3) underscore (_) [e.g. my_file], and

3a) a dash and plus (-+) if it's not the first character. My users in computational chemistry use them quite often without known issues.

> 4) period (.) [e.g. my_program.f90]
> And use the slash (/) *only* for directory name separator.
> No blanks of course [which is a Windows thing].

5) No colon : on a Mac in a terminal. It will show up in the GUI as slash. Despite working it's confusing. Origin is that the colon was (is) the directory separator in HFS (Hierarchical File System) used there and translates from the GUI ":" to a terminal "/" and is rejected because of this in the opposite way.

6) Default on a Mac is not to distinguish between upper and lower case, even in a terminal. Unless you format the partion in a different way to honor it or as Unix FS.

--Reuti