[mpich-discuss] LAMMPS execution on Windows 7 no SP1 using MPICH 2.0-1.4.1p1 for windows

Bruce Allen claudevms at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 23:39:58 CDT 2011

I can see smpd running as a service. smpd responds to start and stop commands.

MPICH2 Configurable Settings reports

"spike: MPICH2 not installed or unable to query host"

I used the wmpiregister.exe to associate "behappy" with my mike account. I copied the mpich2mpidll to the winlaamps directory along with the
mpiexec.exe.

I turned off the windows firewall and disabled it. I turned off the Norton firewall and it is disabled as well.

The lmp6.exe is a LAMMPS EXE file copied directly from the LAMMPS site.

C:\winlaamps>mpiexec -np 4 -localonly c:\winlaamps\lmp6 < in.water5
Unable to open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MPICH\SMPD\process\6240 registry key, error 5, Access is denied.

Unable to open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MPICH\SMPD\process\3572 registry key, error 5, Access is denied.

Unable to open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MPICH\SMPD\process\7056 registry key, error 5, Access is denied.

Unable to open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MPICH\SMPD\process\7060 registry key, error 5, Access is denied.

I was hoping to get LAMMPS to run quicker (divide and conquer)in a multicore environment.

Thanks in advance for any insight!