[mpich-discuss] Compiling with Intel icc

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 7 13:28:50 CDT 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:23 PM CDT, Thomas Jahns wrote:

> On 09/07/2011 05:03 PM, Dave Goodell wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:48 AM CDT, Thomas Jahns wrote:
>>
>>> I also noticed that to make the checks for missing declarations
>>> (PAC_FUNC_NEEDS_DECL) work with icc, one needs to add
>>>
>>> -diag-error 147
>>>
>>> to MPICH2LIB_CFLAGS.
>>
>> We have previously had problems with the PAC_FUNC_NEEDS_DECL macro.  Which
>> way is it failing, specifically?
>
> icc only gives a warning where the macro expects compilation to fail. By
> escalating the diagnostic for functions called in violation of a declared
> interface from warning to error, the configure script correctly identifies these
> functions to not need an extra interface.

I just checked the config.log files our nightly builds with icc and can confirm this behavior.  Thanks for letting us know about this, we never caught it in the build logs.

I'm not sure whether the right fix is for us to add this flag ourselves or just make the test check whether it can even test correctly before making a decision.  I'm inclined towards the latter.

>> I've added your suggestion to our compiler quirks page:
>> http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Compiler_Quirks#Intel_Compiler
>
> I see, that documents some compiler properties, but I rather meant setups people
> succeeded with, i.e. compiler versions used together and corresponding configure
> arguments.

I don't think that we have that sort of list anywhere.

> If you are interested: xlf still displays its manual pages in versions 12.x and
> 13.x and its still just as annoying, or even more so, since the manual pages
> only grow longer.

Noted on the wiki now.

-Dave