[mpich-discuss] Compiling with Intel icc

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 7 10:03:25 CDT 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:48 AM CDT, Thomas Jahns wrote:

> I also noticed that to make the checks for missing declarations
> (PAC_FUNC_NEEDS_DECL) work with icc, one needs to add
>
> -diag-error 147
>
> to MPICH2LIB_CFLAGS.

We have previously had problems with the PAC_FUNC_NEEDS_DECL macro.  Which way is it failing, specifically?  Does it cause configure to abort?  Does it result in false positives (incorrectly determining that a local definition is required) or false negatives (incorrectly determining that a local definition is NOT required)?

I've never heard of needing "-diag-error 147" with icc, but it's not entirely surprising that something is needed.

> Is there a manual listing such "tricks" required for proper
> behaviour somewhere?

We put these things on the wiki sometimes, although that can only be modified by MPICH2 core developers.  Also the mailing list archives are indexed by google and can be a reasonable source of knowledge on these sorts of issues.

I've added your suggestion to our compiler quirks page: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Compiler_Quirks#Intel_Compiler

-Dave