[mpich-discuss] How to check core load

Chandra Bhanu Basak cbbasak at gmail.com
Mon May 30 01:16:22 CDT 2011

Hi,

Thanks to Chan and Correa for their earlier replies that made me more
insightful.

I have compiled cpi.c (comes with MPICH2 example codes) using mpicc -o cpi.c
cpi

Ran it using two following commands -

mpiexec ./cpi

mpiexec -n 30 ./cpi

In first case it says "Process 0 on localhost.localdomain" and also gives
the value of PI and wall clock time (~ 10^-4 s).

In second case it says "Process 0 from localhost.localdomain"
"Process 1 on localhost.localdomain"
"Process 5 on localhost.localdomain"

etc. etc.

(since, localhost.localdomain is the machine's default name)

Since, my machine is a single box containing two processors (each having 6
cores); how do I know that it uses all the cores? Also the associated
calculation time is so small it is difficult to catch the processes using
system monitor.

Is there any benchmarking program which will show how many cores were used
for the calculation.

Thanks in advance.

Basak