[mpich-discuss] Performance of openMP vs MP

bob ilgner bobilgner at gmail.com
Sun May 22 13:43:35 CDT 2011

What is quicker for generalised looping structures on shared memory
platforms, openMP or MPI.

The few tests I have run on a shared memory machine shows that my
Mpich2 implementation runs quicker than the equivalent openMP for most
situations(see attachment). I am in a discussion at the moment with
someone telling me that the openMP should be quicker thnan the MPI for
a smaller number of cores.

Is there an experience base or rule that asserts that openMP
parallelisation of loops should be quicker than MPI ? Why should
openMP be quicker than MPI on shared memory platforms ?