[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 user credentials

Emmanuel JACQUOT emmanuel.jacquot at geokemex.eu
Fri May 20 09:23:55 CDT 2011

Hello,

Thank you for rendering MPI usage more easy. As  I am not an advanced user I
really appreciate your job. This mail is intended to make you know my
feedback about MPICH2 so that you can go further in enlarging the number of
users of MPI.

With this respect, the main difficulties I have been faced to while
installing MPICH2 under windows vista were related to security issues.

Vista has created many barriers to improve the security of the system and
MIPCH2 add some more with the user credentials feature. The combination of
these barriers result in error messages indicating that the host computer do
not allow MPICH2 to connect, or that the user has not the right username or
password to perform the task he wants, even under an administrator session!

Are these barriers really necessary? I mean especially the user credentials
for mpiexec command...I was asked to put my password and it failed for
reasons beyond my understanding. Finally, I tried to execute mpiexec with
the  –noprompt feature described in the documentation. I expected an error
message but it finally worked. Would this also work for other users not
connected under an administrator session?

Internet blogs indicate that many users faced the same difficulty as I.
Therefore I wonder if some barriers could not be given up.  Thank you again
for your job

Best regard

Emmanuel JACQUOT

geo[k]emex

temis innovation

18, Rue Alain SAVARY

25000 BESANCON - FRANCE

emmanuel.jacquot at geokemex.eu

téléphone          : +33 3 81 25 09 03

mobile                 : + 33 6 79 00 92 29

fax                         : +33 3 81 25 53 51________________