[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 error: lanch failed

Zhangping Wei zhangping_wei at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 14:23:25 CDT 2011

Dear all,

I have a problem when I use MPICH2 in win xp 64 bit system, the error is that
‘launch failed: create process <my executable file>’ on ‘my computer name’
failed, error 2 – the system cannot find the file specified.’ Here I listed what
I have done when I ran the code as follows;

1, I downloaded the mpich2-1.3.2p1-win-x86-64.msi and installed it successfully;

2, I added the ‘C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin’ into the paths of user variables
and system variables under environmental variables page of my computer
properties;

3, I used the VS 2005 and Intel visual Fortran10.1 to compile my code under win
x64 (in fact I tried to do it under win 32, I found a lot of unsolved external
links), in this process, I have added ’C:\Program Files\MPICH2\include’ to the
include path,  ‘C:\Program Files\MPICH2\lib’ to the lib path and fmpich2.lib to
the link command; and I generated the executable file correctly,

4, I used command window to run it in this way: ‘mpiexec –n 4  <**.exe> ‘,then I
met the error as I mentioned.

In fact, I have tried open MP installer, I failed with other error, and I also
tried smpd –install/uninstall, but not working.

I also tried to select the ‘port’ under the configurable settings, but I could
not apply it.

I really hope you may give me some help, thanks very much.

Best wishes,

Zhangping Wei