[mpich-discuss] Automatic reply: MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE on Microsoft HPC platform

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 31 14:04:48 CDT 2011

Hi Dmitriy,

MSMPI doesn’t support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE today, but it’s on our list of features to consider in future releases.  We don’t yet have a concrete timeline for such support, though.  The feedback we’ve received in the past is that MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE often regresses the MPI_THREAD_SERIALIZED model and applications can get better overall performance from having multiple MPI_THREAD_SERIALIZED applications rather than a single MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE application.  This is the main reason we have been focusing on improving performance and scalability for the MPI_THREAD_SERIALIZED model.

Note that MPICH2 is on a different development schedule, so they may well have MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support, and can run on Windows HPC Server.  Other MPI vendors support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE on Windows too, for example Intel MPI.  So while MSMPI doesn’t support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE, there’s nothing to prevent it in the Microsoft HPC platform: you can configure your cluster to use a different MPI library than MSMPI (e.g. MPICH2, Intel MPI, Platform MPI, etc.)

Hopefully this helped,
-Fab