[mpich-discuss] HYDRA and kill process

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 11:32:44 CDT 2011

Hi Pavan!

I am running Mpich2 r8281, so it probably contains the newest Hydra at that URL
at the time of writing of your previous post, since the newest Hydra nightly
tarball at that time was r8281.

But let me if I understood you correctly before I go to the trouble of building
another mpich2 and/or hydra: You are saying that I should be able to run (with
four procs on each host)

mpirun -n 8 nice prog.exe

and it should work properly just as would

mpirun -n 8 prog.exe

I.e, there should not be any trouble with communication between processes on
different hosts even if I include the "nice" command? It should be possible in
both cases to stop all processes by hitting CRTL-c on the host at which the
mpirun command was run?

If that's your claim, I can try it again using the latest nightly tarball of
mpich2 and hydra. At the moment I am lowering processes priorities internally in
the program, i.e. using setpriority() in my C++ code. So I don't really need the
"nice" command, but I can test it, if it is supposed to work.

Thanks
Torquil Sørensen