[mpich-discuss] Jumpshot and mpich2-1.3.3rc1

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 8 14:45:03 CST 2011

Anthony can probably give a more authoritative answer here, but I'll throw my two cents into the pile:

On Mar 8, 2011, at 2:04 PM CST, Jain, Rohit wrote:

> echo prints this:
> /usr/bin/java -Xms32m -Xmx512m -jar /mpich2_debug/install-mpe/mpich2-1.3.3rc1/linux/lib/jumpshot.jar Unknown.slog2
>
> If I set JRE_HOME to earlier used JAVA installation, then Jumpshot starts working.
>
> So,
> 1) java installed on my machine isn't working with Jumpshot.
> gij --version
> gij (GNU libgcj) version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-11)

GCJ has always been an odd implementation of Java that often has problems running real life applications.  This should not be surprising behavior.

> 2) if above is true, does mpich2 provides compatible java version too with its installation? If it doesn't, are there guidelines on compatible JAVA versions?

No, we don't distribute Java.  It's easy to find real, working Java runtimes from many places for many platforms.

> 3) Has JRE env been deprecated, as it doesn't work anymore?

No idea, Anthony can probably answer this.

> 4) --with-java= option still works with latest release. If used, it picks up default specified version during runtime, instead of machine installed.

This isn't a question, so I'm not sure what you are asking.  It appears that you are stating that the "--with-java" option works as expected, which is a good thing IMO.

-Dave