[mpich-discuss] MPICH-enabled JWM?

Mandar Gurav mandarwce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:57:43 CST 2011

Recently, we wrote some compute intensive sample programs both using
C(openmp) and java(Multithreading). And found that the Java programs
took about twice of the time for execution than C. And as compared to
this kind of worst performance the openmp and MPI seem to have good
performance.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Dmitri Chubarov
<dmitri.chubarov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Eugene,
>
> there are projects that might fit your description.
>
> There are many research projects that can be found in the literature. For
> instance there was a distributed memory JVM developed by Henri Bal in
> Amsterdam [1] That project's aim was to achieve good performance
> characteristics and that required compiler support. For a pure bytecode
> execution references to several SSI Java Machines can be found [2]. One such
> projects provides code for download [3].
>
> Though I do not have any references neither on the use of distributed jvm in
> production nor on implementations of distributed java machines in MPI.
>
> Dima
>
> [1] R. Veldema, R. F. H. Hofman, R. A. F. Bhoedjang, and H. E. Bal. Runtime
> Optimizations for a Java DSM Implementation. In 2001 joint ACM-ISCOPE Conf.
> on Java Grande, pages 153–162, Palo Alto, CA., June 2001.
>
> [2] C.Cavanna et al. Jupiter/SVM: A JVM-based Single System Image for
> Clusters of Workstations, In Proc. 16th Parallel and Distributed Computing
> and Systems, 2004.
>
> [3] dJVM, http://cs.anu.edu.au/djvm/download.php
>

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Eugene N <neverov.biks.07.1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I wonder, is there a mpi-based JWM, so one could run bloated java
>> "programs" on a cluster of normal workstations??
>>

>> Eugene

Mandar Gurav
http://www.mandargurav.org