[mpich-discuss] MPICH-enabled JWM?

Dmitri Chubarov dmitri.chubarov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 05:37:45 CST 2011

Hi, Eugene,

there are projects that might fit your description.

There are many research projects that can be found in the literature. For
instance there was a distributed memory JVM developed by Henri Bal in
Amsterdam [1] That project's aim was to achieve good performance
characteristics and that required compiler support. For a pure bytecode
execution references to several SSI Java Machines can be found [2]. One such
projects provides code for download [3].

Though I do not have any references neither on the use of distributed jvm in
production nor on implementations of distributed java machines in MPI.

Dima

[1] R. Veldema, R. F. H. Hofman, R. A. F. Bhoedjang, and H. E. Bal. Runtime
Optimizations for a Java DSM Implementation. In 2001 joint ACM-ISCOPE Conf.
on Java Grande, pages 153–162, Palo Alto, CA., June 2001.

[2] C.Cavanna et al. Jupiter/SVM: A JVM-based Single System Image for
Clusters of Workstations, In Proc. 16th Parallel and Distributed Computing
and Systems, 2004.

[3] dJVM, http://cs.anu.edu.au/djvm/download.php