[mpich-discuss] A question in developing MPI in VC++

Hailiang Shen shenh at uoguelph.ca
Wed Mar 2 14:27:18 CST 2011

Dear MPICH2 users,

I met a weird problem to me. I am trying to deploy my multiple objectives
genetic algorithm code to a Intel core 2 duo processor PC. Initially, I
write the code and debug it in a super computer which runs Linux system, and
have no any problem, actually I completed two projects based on my codes.
While, I get problems while running the same codes in windows system within
VC++, since not everyone is accessible to super computers.

Here are how I deploy my code in windows system:

1 Install MPICH2 in my PC,

2 Configure the MPICH2 to be used in VC++ 2008 express; I test the
configuration with a simple example (run with mpiexec.exe, not from command
line, but from the nice GUI), there is no problem,

3 I compile my work codes (the genetic algorithm) in VC++ in debug mode, no
problem,

4 I run my ga code with the GUI, there are problems,

5 I know my question may not too specific, but I write some printf sentence
within my code and expecting some output, but I do not find any,

6 I compile the same code in Release mode, it is compiler free. When I run
with the GUI, it indeed shows some output from my printf line, but still not
going through.

I am just wondering, the working code in Linux has this much trouble in
windows. Is it because I am using a single machine instead of a cluster for
my super computer?

Thanks,

Hailiang

Hailiang Shen, PhD