[mpich-discuss] about installation

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 27 17:28:51 CDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 5:03 PM CDT, Jain, Rohit wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I am configuring new installation, and looking at my current config options, and need some clarification.
>
> --enable-shared: If I just want to run machine installed valgrind on my application, and trying to find issues back in MPICH code, do I need to use this option?

If you want to use the valgrind MPI wrappers, you will need to pass "--enable-shared".  However, you will probably also need to rebuild your valgrind copy after building MPICH2 then.  The valgrind MPI wrappers are only for debugging problems *above* MPICH2, so if you want to debug within MPICH2 then you do not need to enable shared libraries.

If you want to debug MPICH2 itself with valgrind then I recommend "--enable-g=meminit,dbg" at a minimum, and you may also want to add "mem" to that list: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Support_for_Debugging_Memory_Allocation

> --enable-totalview: If I just want to run totalview with my application and debug application's code, not inside MPICH code, Do I need to use this option?

I'm not 100% sure what this option does.  I _think_ that it causes additional helper code and shared libraries to be built with that allow Totalview to locate processes within an MPI job and inspect the message queues.  Specifying this option may also require you to build with shared libraries, but someone else might need to confirm that.

If you just want to attach to individual processes manually with Totalview, you may not need this option.

-Dave