[mpich-discuss] installing and using MPI_PUBLISH_NAME and MPI_LOOKUP_NAME with mpich2

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 16 02:44:20 CDT 2011

[please keep mpich-discuss cc'ed]

On 06/16/2011 02:18 AM, Bernard Secher - SFME/LGLS wrote:
> How can I use the default publish mechanism? My Publish/lookup is
> hapenning between two different applications. Is there an option to give
> to mpiexec for that ?

Do you have a shared file-system? If yes, you don't need to modify
anything. It should just work. If no, then read below:

> If I use the pmi option, the mpiexec -nameserver -help give the
> following message:
> -nameserver: Nameserver to use for publish/lookup (format is host:port)
>
> I don't understand what I have to do with this option.
> First I launch the hydra_nameserver . Do I give some options to
> hydra_nameserver ? Do I give some options then, to the two mpiexec to
> launch my two applications?

There are no options required for hydra_nameserver. The two mpiexec's
will need the -nameserver {hostname} option, where {hostname} is the
name of the host where the nameserver is running.

  -- Pavan