[mpich-discuss] SMPD not working under Cygwin in Windows? Comments?

Jose Pascual-Gutierrez Jose.Pascual-Gutierr at 1-act.com
Tue Jun 14 11:22:26 CDT 2011

I have a Windows machine running Windows 7. The processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93 GHz.

I installed a Linux terminal emulator, namely Red Hat Cygwin, which opens a bash shell. Inside Red Hat Cygwin, I installed mpich2-1.3.2p1. As previously suggested, MPICH2 was configured with the option "--with-pm=smpd", since Hydra does not work on a Windows box, even under Cygwin (and it is true, the default Hydra configuration does not work for me).

Before running any job I execute "smpd -s" to start the smpd deamons.

I compile my example Fortran90 code (copied below):

PROGRAM test
USE MPI
IMPLICIT NONE
  INTEGER, ALLOCATABLE, DIMENSION(:) :: value_ar
  INTEGER :: numpro, myrank, value, i, istat, ierr
  CALL MPI_INIT (ierr)
  CALL MPI_COMM_SIZE (MPI_COMM_WORLD,numpro,ierr)
  CALL MPI_COMM_RANK (MPI_COMM_WORLD,myrank,ierr)
  value = 2*myrank
  IF (myrank == 0) THEN
    ALLOCATE (value_ar(0:(numpro-1)),STAT=istat)
    IF (istat /= 0) THEN
      CALL MPI_ABORT (MPI_COMM_WORLD,istat,ierr)
    END IF
    DO i = 1, (numpro-1)
      CALL MPI_RECV (value_ar(i),1,MPI_INTEGER,i,i,MPI_COMM_WORLD,ierr)
      WRITE (*,*) 'Value come from rank ', i, 'is ', value_ar(i)
    END DO
  ELSE
     CALL MPI_SEND (value,1,MPI_INTEGER,0,myrank,MPI_COMM_WORLD,ierr)
  END IF
  CALL MPI_FINALIZE (ierr)
END PROGRAM test

Then I execute the program and the result is the following error (the WRITE statement after the MPI_RECV subroutine never gets executed):

$ mpiexec -n 2 ./a.exe
os_error = 104 (Connection reset by peer) SMPDU_Sock_wait failed, sock error: Error = -1
 state machine failed.

I get the same error running the example cpi.

Also, when running a make testing, this is what I get for, as an example, the BCAST function:

Unexpected output in bcasttest: Connect() failed, sock_set->id = 0, sock_id =0, errno = 1(Operation not permitted)
Unexpected output in bcasttest:
Unexpected output in bcasttest: mpiexec terminated job due to 180 second timeout.
Program bcasttest exited without No Errors

The error is identical to all the others MPI functions tested by make testing.

Any suggestions to make MPICH2 run on my machine?
Thank you very much,
José