[mpich-discuss] Question about MPICH2's port vs firewall

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 17 05:44:36 CST 2011

Hi,

On 01/17/2011 03:59 AM, 邵思睿 wrote:
> As a freshman in computer & programming, I think when I start mpd with
> "mpdboot -n 5 -f mpd.hosts -v" it just runs mpd, and when I ran mpd
> --echo I found that it uses a RANDOM port, which makes it impossible to
> 'dig a eternal hole' in the firewall for mpd, and I have to turn the
> whole firewall off each time before mpd boots... so are there any ways
> to solve this problem? How to point a certain port when using mpdboot?
> Or other solutions?

This issue has been addressed in the README shipped with the MPICH2
distribution. Please search for the word "firewall".

Also, please consider upgrading to the latest release of MPICH2, which
does not use MPD at all. It uses a new process manager called Hydra that
is easier to use, and performs better.

  -- Pavan