[mpich-discuss] process/core binding

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 13 08:31:47 CST 2011

Hi Mark,

You can either use a user-defined mapping or Hydra's CPU topology
functionality.

See
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager#Process-core_Binding

The following options should work:

/* Use appropriate values for x, y */
% mpiexec -np 2 -binding user:<x,y> ./foo

or

% mpiexec -np 2 -binding cpu:sockets ./foo

Note, however, that there were some bugs in mpich2-1.3.1 in this part of
the code which got fixed after the release. So, if things don't appear
to work correctly, I'd recommend using the latest nightly snapshot.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/tarballs/nightly/hydra

These fixes should be available in the upcoming 1.3.2 release as well.

  -- Pavan